Thursday, January 14, 2010

2010 : The year of Oxfords

This week I feel like I've been on a mission. Well.... let's back track. This all started in a bathroom stall at work (YES). For the past week I've been meeting the same girl in the bathroom and of course me, being me, I noticed and fell in love with her Oxfords. Since then I though more about Oxfords than one person should ever think about a pair of shoes in a year. I Thought about their origin and definition. After all, I've been IN LOVE with the new lace-up TOMS. They look like Oxfords... are they tho?

So here it is (according to wikipedia.com):

An Oxford shoe is a style of leather shoe with enclosed lacing. Oxford shoes are traditionally constructed of leather and were historically rather plain. The shoes originally appeared in Scotland and Ireland (WOOHOO), where they are occasionally called Balmorals. The design of the shoe is often plain, but may include some small ornamentation or perforations.
The meaning of the terms Oxford and Balmoral vary geographically; in the U.S., Balmoral is synonymous with Oxford; elsewhere, especially in Britain, the Balmoral is a particular type of Oxford where there are no seams (apart from the toe cap) descending to the welt, a style particularly common on boots.

Rather a long definition, but I think I've reached some clarity. I've done my research and found some of my fave Oxfords available out there. And YES - my TOMS are oxfords too. Now which ones to get?

To end my bathroom story... today I saw her again and actually asked where she got her shoes. They were Bakers - who would have known! I love complimenting people on their fashion if well deserved. Maybe next time I should ask her bout her name :)

No comments: